Kratom can be ingested in many different ways.
Learn More about different available products and Shop our Kratom extracts HERE.
Historically, indigenous people in SE Asia would either chew on the fresh leaves of the Mitragynine speciosa tree or use the foliage to brew a bitter, alkaloid-laden tea.
Nowadays, the majority of users opt to use powders or capsules.
However, recently extracts have started to gain popularity.
A kratom extract is usually more costly than other types of herb which is why many people are exploring how to make kratom extracts at home.
What is a Kratom Extract?
Creating a Kratom Extract
Basically, a kratom extract is a concentrated form of the herb.
It is obtained by distilling powder or leaves to pull forth the herb’s natural alkaloids.
There are several different ways you can make extracts.
Typically, commercially available kratom extracts are achieved in a laboratory setting using expensive, high-tech machinery.
However, simpler, and efficient extraction options exist.
In fact, you can make a kratom extract in relatively few steps.
Just remember that the concentration of alkaloids will vary significantly depending on how the kratom extract was made.
Nonetheless, kratom extracts are usually far more potent than just leaves or powder.
Why Make a Kratom Extract?
The process of commercial kratom extraction is not cheap for a manufacturer.
The added cost of formulating the extract is then rolled over in the product’s final cost.
In that, many leading vendors do not even offer extracts or tinctures because of the significant price of the process which makes it not an efficient option.
In addition, the extracted products have to undergo additional testing to ensure purity and potency which also takes time and money.
Clearly, all of the above impacts the availability of kratom extract.
Yes, you’ll find the most popular varieties extracted by vendors but less-known strains might not be as widely available so you can instead opt to make the kratom extract yourself.
How to Make a Kratom Extract?
The potency of Extracts for Kratom, Cannabis, and More.
You can choose between water or alcohol-based extracts.
Both offer superb results.
Best of all.
You can easily create them at home by following a few simple steps.
With kratom extracts, an alcohol base preserves the alkaloids for longer which gives you an extended shelf life compared to water.
The first step in the extraction process is always to gather all of your supplies and ingredients.
You want everything ready, so you aren’t wasting valuable time trying to locate things.
Ideally, you should not pause while making the extract, but instead, carry out each step effortlessly and in a timely fashion.
Ingredients Needed to Make Kratom Extract
Supplies to Make Kratom Extracts
Gather all of the ingredients needed to make a kratom extract.
- Kratom powder or fresh leaves (fresh leaves are virtually impossible to get in the U.S.)
- Ethanol or ethyl alcohol. One option is to use 40 percent concentrated alcohol such as rum or vodka. Many use rubbing alcohol but it contains dangerous chemicals that create harmful fumes.
- Lemon juice or citric acid (stabilizes and slows down the evaporation rate).
- Digital scale so you can accurately measure the kratom.
- Test strips to check pH balance so you can keep an eye on the acidity level of the extract.
- Mason jars
- Measuring cup.
- Tinted bottle.
- Strainer with fine mesh or cheesecloth.
How to Make Kratom Extract
Follow these easy steps to make kratom extract.
- Choose the strain of kratom powder that you want to formulate the extraction. Remember, how effective the extract becomes depends largely on the strain that you pick. A potent strain will render more robust results because of the abundant alkaloids.
- Measure the kratom — use four to five ounces of kratom powder to create 100 to 150 grams of kratom.
- Mix the kratom with ethanol. Remember, extracts formulated from an alcohol base have a longer shelf life than water-based. The alcohol provides preservative-like components. However, if you want to abstain from using alcohol then you can opt to use distilled water in place of the ethanol.
- Place the kratom into the container. Check the level to make sure that it does not take up more than half of the container. Add alcohol or water. You will want to create a 1:4 ratio when picking the kratom with the alcohol. Basically, use four ounces of kratom for every one liter of alcohol. Mix well to dissolve the kratom powder in the alcohol.
- Add citric acid to the kratom and alcohol formula. Citric acid assists in the extraction process and preserves the alkaloids. The vitamin C found in citric acid is an organic acid. You can purchase it at most grocery stores, or you can squeeze it fresh from a lemon.
- Check the pH strips to determine the acidity. It should be at pH4. Stop adding the citric acid when the test strip reaches pH4. Remember, if you add too much citric acid then it will turn too acidic. Excessive citric acid can lead to canker sores of the mouth.
- Add glycerin to help break down the oils and fats. Use only a tiny amount.
- Seal the mixture in the container and shake vigorously. The liquid should develop a smooth consistency.
- At this point, you can place the container in a cool dark place and wait one week or you can place the container in a pan of hot water for one hour – you’ll need to repeat this process at least two more times. Another option is to place the containers in a crockpot and slowly cook them on low for three days.
- Strain the liquid after the allotted time has elapsed for whichever above option you took. Use a cheesecloth or strainer to remove all particles. Throw away the particles.
- Refill the container with the liquid and leave it to slowly evaporate. After one-half of the liquid has evaporated then you can then pour the tincture into its final bottles.
Creating your own kratom tincture is remarkably easy and cost-effective. You can make several different extracts using various strains as needed.
Reasons to Make A Kratom Extract
Here are just a few reasons why you might want to make your own extract to enjoy:
- Highly concentrated and potent. You can use a lower dose of a kratom tincture and gain the same effects as a higher dose.
- Tinctures act quickly because the body readily absorbs the liquid.
- Easy to use.
- Portable, easy to carry, and store.
- Stores well for an extended time.
How to Use a Kratom Extract
Tinctures are a wonderful way to enjoy all of kratom’s alkaloid benefits.
Here are ways to use extracts:
- Sublingual: Place a drop or two under your tongue and hold for 30 to 60 seconds before swallowing the mixture. The diverse range of blood vessels beneath your tongue will rapidly absorb the alkaloids. This is one of the most common ways to use a kratom extract.
- Food or drink additive: Add kratom to food or drink. Many people mix an extract in their smoothie or coffee to kick start their day. You can customize whatever food or beverage you want with the extract.
- Swallow the Extract: You can simply swallow a dosage of the extract like you would any liquid medication.
If you are interested in purchasing GMP certified name brand kratom extracts please take a look at our selection HERE.